This activity is to assist patients in problem solving, and to help them create a plan and hope for their future.
· Markers, crayons, colored pencils
· Instruct patients to draw a mountain and a valley
· Discuss with patients how we have mountains and valleys in our lives
· Have patients think of the valley they are in and the mountain they are climbing
· Have patients write or draw pictures on their drawing to describe this mountain and valley they are currently dealing with
· Above the mountain instruct patients to write down coping skills, names of people who can help them, and beliefs they have that will help them climb their mountain
· *Extra: instruct patients to draw a path from the valley floor to the top of the mountain and along the path have them write down steps they plan to take to reach the top.
· Discuss drawings with patients throughout this activity (step by step) and help patients to see options where they may feel effort is useless.